From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:46:55
1 On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:13:21 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > There is a way for users to opt out if we default this to on, but I
5 > think the new naming scheme has advantages over the traditional eth*
6 > wlan* etc names.
7
8 I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. The page mentions how
9 it lets you replace a failed NIC without losing its name. But given a
10 simple computer with just one NIC, if the NIC fails and is replaced
11 (perhaps by a different type of NIC in a different slot, or perhaps an
12 onboard NIC disabled in the BIOS and replaced by an add-in), the name
13 could change, while the kernel’s automatically assigned name will not:
14 eth0 (this also applies to a computer with one Ethernet NIC and one
15 wifi NIC: eth0 and wlan0). That fact was never mentioned on the wiki
16 page, even though it applies to a heck of a lot of systems. Perhaps
17 something to include when the Gentoo docs are put together, as part of
18 the balance of reasons to choose one way or the other?
19
20 Chris