From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:14:21
1 On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 02:59:10PM -0800, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:13:10 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
6 >
7 > This seems like a good thing for some systems. Will there be a news
8 > item when 197 (or greater) goes stable informing people that the option
9 > is available and if they want to use it they can do so? In my (ordinary
10 > user) opinion, there should be.
11
12 There will definitely be a newsitem before this hits stable.
13
14 Once we figure out what the migration will involve and if there are any
15 bugs we need to worry about, I want to discuss making this the default
16 setup before we go stable.
17
18 There is a way for users to opt out if we default this to on, but I
19 think the new naming scheme has advantages over the traditional eth*
20 wlan* etc names.
21
22 I did the migration myself on my box this afternoon in just a minute or
23 two; it wasn't painful at all.
24
25 William