From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'pax_kernel' USE flag
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:32:19
1 On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021, Marek Szuba wrote:
4 >
5 > > Seeing as in the end this USE flag is not going anywhere in spite of
6 > > Gentoo no longer providing PaX-capable kernel sources, could we please
7 > > rename it (e.g. to 'pax-kernel') so that it no longer contains a
8 > > disallowed character. I understand the main reason this hasn't been
9 > > done yet is that we expected it might disappear altogether.
10 >
11 > +1 for renaming to pax-kernel.
12 >
13 > A related question, the pax_kernel flag is still used by these packages:
14 >
15 > app-emulation/virtualbox
16 > app-emulation/virtualbox-modules
17 > dev-java/icedtea
18 > dev-lang/mlton
19 > dev-lang/mono
20 > dev-lang/smlnj
21 > dev-libs/libffi
22 > dev-libs/libffi-compat
23 > media-sound/spotify
24 > net-libs/nodejs
25 >
26 > From my past experience with PaX support in Emacs, things used to break
27 > on a regular basis [1]. So I wonder, how is the status of PaX support in
28 > the packages listed above? Do their maintainers actually test them with
29 > a PaX kernel (which would be a third-party kernel, I suppose)? If not,
30 > maybe the flag should be removed from these untested packages?
31
32 ebuild maintainers are rarely responsible for the PaX-related
33 workarounds that end up in ebuilds. A better question would be if
34 *anybody* is using these packages with a PaX-enabled kernel, and
35 that's more difficult to answer.