From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'pax_kernel' USE flag
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:06:26
1 >>>>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021, Marek Szuba wrote:
2
3 > Seeing as in the end this USE flag is not going anywhere in spite of
4 > Gentoo no longer providing PaX-capable kernel sources, could we please
5 > rename it (e.g. to 'pax-kernel') so that it no longer contains a
6 > disallowed character. I understand the main reason this hasn't been
7 > done yet is that we expected it might disappear altogether.
8
9 +1 for renaming to pax-kernel.
10
11 A related question, the pax_kernel flag is still used by these packages:
12
13 app-emulation/virtualbox
14 app-emulation/virtualbox-modules
15 dev-java/icedtea
16 dev-lang/mlton
17 dev-lang/mono
18 dev-lang/smlnj
19 dev-libs/libffi
20 dev-libs/libffi-compat
21 media-sound/spotify
22 net-libs/nodejs
23
24 From my past experience with PaX support in Emacs, things used to break
25 on a regular basis [1]. So I wonder, how is the status of PaX support in
26 the packages listed above? Do their maintainers actually test them with
27 a PaX kernel (which would be a third-party kernel, I suppose)? If not,
28 maybe the flag should be removed from these untested packages?
29
30 Ulrich
31
32 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/4b5000ef34b506e536b7841ffa17aa39