From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:49:00
1 On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > That is pretty easy and takes you ~20s for a keyword merge. What's the
4 > problem?
7 Agree. Also, there was a comment that git pull is much slower than
8 cvs. While it is true that git does refresh the whole tree all the
9 time, it is FAR more efficient at doing this than CVS, since the local
10 and remote repositories can use a single hash to determine where each
11 stands relative to the other, and the COW mechanism applies to
12 directory trees so when making comparisons git does not need to
13 traverse the full depth of the tree for every branch. A cvs update on
14 the entire tree is basically an independent synchronization of every
15 file in the tree. Also, by refreshing the entire tree you also catch
16 any repoman errors that might result from commits to other packages
17 that you didn't have visibility to when refreshing only a single
18 package in cvs.
19
20 I wonder if it would make sense to set up a practice git tree
21 somewhere so that people can try working together on workflows/etc.
22 We can clone a migrated tree (I have one from a few days ago on
23 github).
24
25 I'm not super-familiar with github organizations, but if it is easy to
26 grant everybody in the gentoo organization access to a migrated tree
27 we could do that, and host it in the organization. I don't care where
28 we host the tree - I just don't have anything set up personally.
31 Rich