From: Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FAQ
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:42:29
1 On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 21:17, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2
3 > well - this has come up pretty often lately....
4 >
5 > I can't use the gentoo boot cd - is there any other way...
6
7 Hmmm... I've just experienced the joys of completely reinstalling a
8 server while it was actually running. That is, I installed gentoo on it
9 while I had the RedHat installation running - and just replaced the
10 services from the RedHat system with those from the Gentoo chroot one by
11 one until everything ran from the Gentoo installation. I then did a
12 quick reboot and had a fully functional Gentoo replacement system
13 running. Downtime was two minutes.
14
15 I think that things like these are worth bringing to people's attention.
16 I can (probably - if I find a bit of extra time) start writing a guide
17 on alternate installation methods if you think it's a good idea.
18
19 I can also contribute with maybe a bootdisk/netinstall and even a more
20 automated installation process for people not really knowing what they
21 are doing - if there is any interest for it
26 Erik Grinaker
27 Freelance UNIX/Linux systems consultant
28
29 "Perfection is acheived not when there is nothing more to add, but
30 rather when there is nothing more to take away"
31 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry