From: Thilo Bangert <thilo.bangert@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FAQ
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:59:13
1 On 08 Apr 2002 21:39:20 +0200
2 Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 21:17, Thilo Bangert wrote:
5 >
6 > > well - this has come up pretty often lately....
7 > >
8 > > I can't use the gentoo boot cd - is there any other
9 > > way...
10 >
11 > Hmmm... I've just experienced the joys of completely reinstalling a
12 > server while it was actually running. That is, I installed gentoo on
13 > it while I had the RedHat installation running - and just replaced
14 > the services from the RedHat system with those from the Gentoo
15 > chroot one by one until everything ran from the Gentoo installation.
16 > I then did a quick reboot and had a fully functional Gentoo
17 > replacement system running. Downtime was two minutes.
20 great - i plan on doing this myself.
21 good to hear somebody already accomplished this...
22 (amazing downtime!)
25 > I can also contribute with maybe a bootdisk/netinstall and even a
26 > more automated installation process for people not really knowing
27 > what they are doing - if there is any interest for it
28
29 i've said this before: i wouldn't want to make it too easy for
30 people - thats what made gentoo really fun
31
32 yes, a steep learning curve will scare some people away, but it will
33 make tech support much more easy (in the long)
34 (perhaps this is all wrong, because then people just start
35 doing new stuff...)
36
37 also, gentoo is constantly under (more or less) heavy development
38 (getting better every day). brave newbies have no problem dealing
39 with that, but they can handle heavy documentation as well...
40
41 i don't want to kill your attempt on doing something good - i just
42 personally feel we should not lower the high standards (in terms
43 of dificulty or "heaviness") of the gentoo documentation
44
45 a dedicated gentoo floppy bootdisc really sounds like a good idea
46
47 just my 2 cents
48
49 regards