From: Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FAQ
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:25:53
1 On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 21:59, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2
3 > > Hmmm... I've just experienced the joys of completely reinstalling a
4 > > server while it was actually running. That is, I installed gentoo on
5 > > it while I had the RedHat installation running - and just replaced
6 > > the services from the RedHat system with those from the Gentoo
7 > > chroot one by one until everything ran from the Gentoo installation.
8 > > I then did a quick reboot and had a fully functional Gentoo
9 > > replacement system running. Downtime was two minutes.
12 > great - i plan on doing this myself.
13 > good to hear somebody already accomplished this...
14 > (amazing downtime!)
15
16 For a complete system reinstallation and reconfiguration including data
17 transfers i would say 2 minutes is rather nice, yeah :D try doing that
18 with redhat, debian or whatever (no flames, plz)
21 > > I can also contribute with maybe a bootdisk/netinstall and even a
22 > > more automated installation process for people not really knowing
23 > > what they are doing - if there is any interest for it
24 >
25 > i've said this before: i wouldn't want to make it too easy for
26 > people - thats what made gentoo really fun
27
28 True. However, I think the installation process is unneccessarily
29 complex, because you set up the gentoo environment manually, but all the
30 boot-scripts etc which really teach you the inner workings of linux are
31 automatically installed. Sure, newbies won't be afraid of recompiling
32 their kernel etc, but it's not a "complete" learning experience.
33
34 But I do know that the feeling most newbies have after installing it
35 will most certainly motivate them to play around some more with the
36 linux system (which is what you *should* do with linux; play around),
37 and this is definitely a good thing. I know I was pretty damn proud
38 after doing my first lfs install.
39
40 Anyways, you've probably had discussions on this before, so I'll just
41 leave it to the dev's.
42
43 > yes, a steep learning curve will scare some people away, but it will
44 > make tech support much more easy (in the long)
45 > (perhaps this is all wrong, because then people just start
46 > doing new stuff...)
47
48 hehe, well, there's really nothing stopping me, or anyone else, from
49 making a GentooEasyInstall(tm) disk/cd which does this, so I wouldn't
50 have that as my primary business model ;)
53 > also, gentoo is constantly under (more or less) heavy development
54 > (getting better every day). brave newbies have no problem dealing
55 > with that, but they can handle heavy documentation as well...
56 >
57 > i don't want to kill your attempt on doing something good - i just
58 > personally feel we should not lower the high standards (in terms
59 > of dificulty or "heaviness") of the gentoo documentation
60
61 Also true, I just thought it would get some pressure off of the mailing
62 lists and make the gentoo install process a bit more flexible for people
63 who don't have the skills/creativity to do stuff like this - but if they
64 don't i guess they shouldn't be doing it in any case :)
67 > a dedicated gentoo floppy bootdisc really sounds like a good idea
68
69 Yup. I'll look into it, but no promises.
73 Erik Grinaker
74 Freelance UNIX/Linux systems consultant
75
76 "Perfection is acheived not when there is nothing more to add, but
77 rather when there is nothing more to take away"
78 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry