From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman: check for deprecated eclasses
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:08:24
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Repoman needs to check for deprecated eclasses, see
5 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/141677
6 >
7 > As a result of the discussion in the bug, we would like to add
8 > $PORTDIR/qa-data/eclass.deprecated
9 > to allow to deprecate eclasses properly and make repoman fail.
10 >
11 > This will allow us to avoid problems with new ebuilds for deprecated
12 > eclasses which result in bugs like
13 > Bug 141629 dev-util/systemtap-20060325.ebuild uses deprecated
14 > kernel-mod.eclass
15 > I believe the developer has not known anything about that kernel-mod is
16 > deprecated when making that ebuild. Now he ignores the bug and we have that
17 > old eclass used again :(
18 >
19 > Best regards,
20 > - Stefan
21 >
22 I would prefer to see a patch for this first, and then modify gentoo-x86
23 second; but I agree in principle. What of the conversation about 2
24 files, one for "this eclass is currently being deprecated" -> repoman
25 warning; and "this eclass is no longer usable" -> repoman failure.
26
27 Also the deprecated -> new-eclass mapping. Afaik that didn't go so well
28 for me; but I still like it ;)
29
30 old new
32 foo.eclass new-foo.eclass