From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman: check for deprecated eclasses
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:24:05
1 Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 17:05 schrieb Alec Warner:
2 > Stefan Schweizer wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Repoman needs to check for deprecated eclasses, see
6 > > http://bugs.gentoo.org/141677
7 > >
8 > > As a result of the discussion in the bug, we would like to add
9 > > $PORTDIR/qa-data/eclass.deprecated
10 > > to allow to deprecate eclasses properly and make repoman fail.
11 > >
12 > > This will allow us to avoid problems with new ebuilds for
13 > > deprecated eclasses which result in bugs like
14 > > Bug 141629 dev-util/systemtap-20060325.ebuild uses deprecated
15 > > kernel-mod.eclass
16 > > I believe the developer has not known anything about that
17 > > kernel-mod is deprecated when making that ebuild. Now he ignores
18 > > the bug and we have that old eclass used again :(
19 > >
20 > > Best regards,
21 > > - Stefan
22 >
23 > I would prefer to see a patch for this first, and then modify
24 > gentoo-x86 second; but I agree in principle. What of the
25 > conversation about 2 files, one for "this eclass is currently being
26 > deprecated" -> repoman warning; and "this eclass is no longer usable"
27 > -> repoman failure.
28 >
29 > Also the deprecated -> new-eclass mapping. Afaik that didn't go so
30 > well for me; but I still like it ;)
31 >
32 > old new
33 > ----- ------
34 > foo.eclass new-foo.eclass
35
36 We don't need a new file for that IMHO. I'd propose to add something
37 like
38
39 ECLASS_DEPRECATED="${ECLASS_DEPRECATED} foo"
40 ECLASS_REPLACEMENTS="${ECLASS_REPLACEMENT} new-foo"
41
42 to foo.eclass. In my eyes this is much less work as repoman merely has
43 to check for 2 envvars.
44
45 Danny
46 --
47 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
48 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list