From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git migration
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:49:08
1 Steven J. Long:
2 >
3 > VCS commit messages are very different to the ebuild Changelogs ime.
4
5 Yes, but this does not even apply to the current gentoo CVS workflow
6 (compare the cvs commit messages with the ChangeLog entries, e.g. for
7 sys-apps/portage).
8
9 > I would ask that you consider the different purpose of VCS commit
10 > messages, vs ebuild Changelogs. The latter are terse summaries from
11 > the admin perspective, and the former naturally tend to be more
12 > code-oriented, especially when applied to bigger projects, and
13 > especially with the ncremental-commit model that git fosters. (don't
14 > rebase: just push, and use add -p if you have to break it up[2].)
15
16 The difference between admin perspective and developer perspective is
17 very small in the context of ebuilds. Ebuild code is trivial and the
18 rate of changes that don't affect the users directly (such as optimizing
19 syntax stuff, improving code style etc) is pretty low when I look at my
20 own ebuilds.
21 The rest of the messages that do affect users are usually just "added
22 missing dependency on sys-apps/foo wrt #12345" or similar which don't
23 really need any sort of conversion to be understood by users/admins.
24
25 > Either way, I don't think the discussion about Changelogs should *at all* affect the move to git;
26
27 Correct, because this wouldn't even be a regression to the current CVS
28 workflow.