From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux Development Organization
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:04:21
1 On Friday 13 July 2001 23:48, you wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > As you probably all have noticed, Gentoo Linux development is really
5 > starting to heat up. To help Gentoo Linux development happen more rapidly,
6 > I'm making changes to the development team structure so that more work can
7 > be completed in parallel rather by a single person or group of people (i.e.
8 > achim and me). To do this, I'm going to be organizing our current
9 > monolithic development team into several sub-teams:
10 >
11 > System Team
12 >
13 > The system team is going to focus on creating a stable Gentoo Linux base
14 > system, and will be in charge of the ebuilds in the sys-* categories. This
15 > team will continually refine the base system, and provide completed, stable
16 > base systems to the other teams to serve as a base for their work.
17 >
18 > Tools Team
19 >
20 > The tools team will focus on maintaining a stable suite of auxilliary
21 > development tools (those not included in the the base system). Like the
22 > server team, their work will build on top of the latest stable system
23 > snapshot release.
24 >
25 > Server Team
26 >
27 > The server team is going to focus on creating a stable, robust and secure
28 > suite of server application ebuilds (everything in net-* categories and a
29 > few others). They will base their testing on the latest stable system
30 > snapshot provided by the System team and the latest stable snapshot of the
31 > tools team.
32 >
33 > Desktop Team
34 >
35 > The desktop team will focus on desktop apps and environments, such as KDE,
36 > GNOME, X and desktop applications like gimp and mozilla. Again, they'll
37 > build on the work of the system team and the tools team.
38 >
39 > NOTE: The above four teams will be responsible for maintaining a *stable*
40 > and *development* branch of their work. This means that every team will be
41 > able to provide production-ready suites of ebuilds at any time.
42 >
43 > Infrastructure Team
44 >
45 > The Infrastructure team is a special-purpose team that will focus their
46 > efforts on upgrading the Web site, improving the dev-wiki, providing
47 > mirroring services and the like. They will also be responsible for press
48 > releases, freshmeat.net posts, user account maintenance and web
49 > documentation. Additionally, the Infrastructure Team will develop the boot
50 > CD and installer projects. You can think of the Infrastucture team as
51 > Gentoo Linux IT, community relations, documentation and
52 > ease-of-installation teams rolled into one.
53 >
54 > Each team will have a team leader that will direct team development efforts
55 > and will be responsible for the team as a whole. The team leader will also
56 > have the authority to organize his team as he sees fit; for example, the
57 > desktop team leader can create two special-purpose GNOME and KDE teams if
58 > he feels that is necessary. The team leaders will report directly to me
59 > and Achim.
60 >
61 > Achim and I will supervise the work of all teams, and will help all the
62 > teams as needed. For the time being, our efforts will be focused on the
63 > System Team.
64 >
65 > All Gentoo Linux developers should email me privately and let me know what
66 > team they'd like to be on (first and second choice) as well as if they want
67 > to be a Team Leader. Note that although the team leaders will have
68 > additional authority, they will also have additional responsibilities
69 > (since they'll be responsible for an entire part of Gentoo Linux) and will
70 > need to be able to devote a good chunk of time to Gentoo Linux development.
71 > This also means that if Achim and aren't satisfied with the progress of a
72 > team, we of course may replace the team leader with someone else. So
73 > anyone volunteering for the position of team leader should understand that
74 > it will be much more demanding than a normal developer position.
79 I suppose I'll join the desktop team.
80 But, before I focus my activities on the desktop, I'll create ebuilds for all
81 the programs I want to use in all the other categories.
82
83 Dan Armak