From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux Development Organization
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:48:34
1 Hi All,
2
3 As you probably all have noticed, Gentoo Linux development is really starting
4 to heat up. To help Gentoo Linux development happen more rapidly, I'm making
5 changes to the development team structure so that more work can be completed in
6 parallel rather by a single person or group of people (i.e. achim and me). To
7 do this, I'm going to be organizing our current monolithic development team
8 into several sub-teams:
9
10 System Team
11
12 The system team is going to focus on creating a stable Gentoo Linux base
13 system, and will be in charge of the ebuilds in the sys-* categories. This
14 team will continually refine the base system, and provide completed, stable
15 base systems to the other teams to serve as a base for their work.
16
17 Tools Team
18
19 The tools team will focus on maintaining a stable suite of auxilliary
20 development tools (those not included in the the base system). Like the server
21 team, their work will build on top of the latest stable system snapshot
22 release.
23
24 Server Team
25
26 The server team is going to focus on creating a stable, robust and secure suite
27 of server application ebuilds (everything in net-* categories and a few
28 others). They will base their testing on the latest stable system snapshot
29 provided by the System team and the latest stable snapshot of the tools team.
30
31 Desktop Team
32
33 The desktop team will focus on desktop apps and environments, such as KDE,
34 GNOME, X and desktop applications like gimp and mozilla. Again, they'll build
35 on the work of the system team and the tools team.
36
37 NOTE: The above four teams will be responsible for maintaining a *stable* and
38 *development* branch of their work. This means that every team will be able to
39 provide production-ready suites of ebuilds at any time.
40
41 Infrastructure Team
42
43 The Infrastructure team is a special-purpose team that will focus their efforts
44 on upgrading the Web site, improving the dev-wiki, providing mirroring services
45 and the like. They will also be responsible for press releases, freshmeat.net
46 posts, user account maintenance and web documentation. Additionally, the
47 Infrastructure Team will develop the boot CD and installer projects. You can
48 think of the Infrastucture team as Gentoo Linux IT, community relations,
49 documentation and ease-of-installation teams rolled into one.
50
51 Each team will have a team leader that will direct team development efforts and
52 will be responsible for the team as a whole. The team leader will also have the
53 authority to organize his team as he sees fit; for example, the desktop team
54 leader can create two special-purpose GNOME and KDE teams if he feels that is
55 necessary. The team leaders will report directly to me and Achim.
56
57 Achim and I will supervise the work of all teams, and will help all the teams
58 as needed. For the time being, our efforts will be focused on the System Team.
59
60 All Gentoo Linux developers should email me privately and let me know what team
61 they'd like to be on (first and second choice) as well as if they want to be a
62 Team Leader. Note that although the team leaders will have additional
63 authority, they will also have additional responsibilities (since they'll be
64 responsible for an entire part of Gentoo Linux) and will need to be able to
65 devote a good chunk of time to Gentoo Linux development. This also means that
66 if Achim and aren't satisfied with the progress of a team, we of course may
67 replace the team leader with someone else. So anyone volunteering for the
68 position of team leader should understand that it will be much more demanding
69 than a normal developer position.
70
71 Best Regards,
74 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>