From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:21:26
1 On 09/22/2014 08:40 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, hasufell wrote:
3 >
4 >> Ulrich Mueller:
5 >>> | • atomic commits (one logical change)
6 >>>
7 >>> A version bump plus cleaning up older ebuilds will be considered
8 >>> one logical change, I suppose?
9 >
10 >> I'd consider it two logical changes (e.g. imagine a user complaining
11 >> about ebuild removal... you cannot easily revert it if it's not a
12 >> separate commit). But I don't have a strong opinion on that and I'm
13 >> not sure if we can enforce commit rules in such fine-grained
14 >> details, can we?
15 >
16 >> Do you think this should be added explicitly?
17 >
18 > It is a very common example that should be mentioned.
21 Another example that just crossed my mind is ebuild bumps that also
22 modify profiles/ (e.g. package.mask, because a dependency is also masked).
23
24 I think I was initially assuming that it would be one commit since both
25 things are related to the bump, but it also has advantages to split that up.