From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 06:41:06
1 >>>>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller:
4 >> | • atomic commits (one logical change)
5 >>
6 >> A version bump plus cleaning up older ebuilds will be considered
7 >> one logical change, I suppose?
8
9 > I'd consider it two logical changes (e.g. imagine a user complaining
10 > about ebuild removal... you cannot easily revert it if it's not a
11 > separate commit). But I don't have a strong opinion on that and I'm
12 > not sure if we can enforce commit rules in such fine-grained
13 > details, can we?
14
15 > Do you think this should be added explicitly?
16
17 It is a very common example that should be mentioned.
18
19 >> | • for commits that affect only a single package, prepend
20 >> | "CATEGORY/PN: " to the first line
21 >>
22 >> In some cases of long package names, this may be in conflict with
23 >> the first item.
24 >> "dev-python/rax-default-network-flags-python-novaclient-ext: " as a
25 >> prefix doesn't leave much space for an explanation. ;)
26
27 > I'd say that's rare enough to warrant exceptions in that case. Or
28 > are you suggesting to drop CATEGORY/PN completely? I mean... it's
29 > not strictly necessary, since you can just look at the files that
30 > have been touched and run git log on an ebuild directory, but I
31 > think it will still make using the history easier, especially since
32 > mass-commits will not have CATEGORY/PN and can very easily be
33 > identified. It's also common practice in various overlays.
34
35 > Do you want me to add this exceptional case as a valid reason to
36 > have more than 75 chars in the first line?
37
38 Everything else, like abbreviating PN, or moving it to third or later
39 line, doesn't seem reasonable. So, I'd go for exceptions to the 75
40 char rule.
41
42 >> | • for commits that affect only licenses directory, prepend
43 >> | "licenses: " to the first line
44 >>
45 >> Same for commits that affect licenses and profiles?
46
47 > You are probably referring to license_groups.
48
49 Right.
50
51 > I'd say it matters more what the intention is and not so much what
52 > directories in particular were touched. If you want to add a new
53 > license and have to edit profiles/license_groups, I'd still just
54 > prepend "licenses: ".
55
56 > Maybe I should add this as a general idea to the commit guideline.
57 > I think that's better than specing the whole through which will
58 > probably just confuse people, no?
59
60 Sounds good. Just say that the summary should be prepended by an
61 indicator what part of the tree is (mainly) affected, followed by some
62 examples that need not cover all corner cases.
63
64 >> All in all, this looks sane to me. Is it planned to enforce this
65 >> policy by repoman?
66
67 > Good question. I'm not sure if it's a good idea though. It might get
68 > in our way for corner cases and whatnot. Maybe as a polite warning
69 > it would be ok.
70
71 Yes, I meant adding a warning, to make devs aware that there may be a
72 problem. A not quite perfect commit message is no real breakage, so it
73 doesn't merit a fatal error.
74
75 Ulrich