From: "Luis F. Araujo" <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:43:45
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 21:30 -0500, Kito wrote:
6 >>>So yeah, subprofiles, reasons why not?
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>Aside from the work involved, I see no reason to not use the cascades
10 >>for what they seem to be made for.
14 >As I understood it, they were implemented to reduce the amount of work
15 >necessary in maintaining them. As it was back then, it required changes
16 >to an extremely large number of profiles every time a change was made to
17 >the default USE flags. I honestly don't think it would be a good idea
18 >to forget the lessons of the past and start bloating the profiles with
19 >tons of "desktop" and "server" profiles, among anything else people
20 >would want. After all, as soon as we did a "desktop" profile, then we
21 >would have requests for "gnome" and "kde" sub-profiles.
22 >
23 >As I stated earlier, it's easier to not provide *any* than to try to
24 >provide all of the ones that will inevitably be requested as soon as we
25 >start adding them.
29 In general, it sounds like a good idea, but as far as i can see, it
30 would be
31 a for-the-user and by-the-user idea, but what about for the devs, it
32 doesn't look
33 like something easy to mantain.
34
35 Nevertheless, what if we can provide instead tools/docs to help users
36 with the task?,
37 so anyone willing to do it, could easily create his/her own sub-profiles
38 for kde/gnome/whatever ...
39
40 Just an idea :-]
41 --