From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:03:46
1 On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 21:30 -0500, Kito wrote:
2 > > So yeah, subprofiles, reasons why not?
3 >
4 > Aside from the work involved, I see no reason to not use the cascades
5 > for what they seem to be made for.
6
7 As I understood it, they were implemented to reduce the amount of work
8 necessary in maintaining them. As it was back then, it required changes
9 to an extremely large number of profiles every time a change was made to
10 the default USE flags. I honestly don't think it would be a good idea
11 to forget the lessons of the past and start bloating the profiles with
12 tons of "desktop" and "server" profiles, among anything else people
13 would want. After all, as soon as we did a "desktop" profile, then we
14 would have requests for "gnome" and "kde" sub-profiles.
15
16 As I stated earlier, it's easier to not provide *any* than to try to
17 provide all of the ones that will inevitably be requested as soon as we
18 start adding them.
21 Chris Gianelloni
23 Games - Developer
24 Gentoo Linux