From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:36:11
1 On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Hola all.
6 [...]
9 > So, fex, the following flags are rather desktop specific-
10 > alsa
11 > arts
12 > avi
13 > bitmap-fonts
14 > cups
15 > eds
16 > emboss (why the hell is "European Molecular Biology Open Software
17 > Suite"
18 > a profile default? Seems extremely specialized)
19 > encode
20 > fortran
21 > foomaticdb
22 > gnome
23 > gstreamer
24 > gtk
25 > gtk2
26 > imlib
27 > kde
28 > mad
29 > mikmod
30 > motif
31 > mp3
32 > mpeg
33 > ogg
34 > oggvorbis
35 > oss
36 > png
37 > qt
38 > quicktime
39 > sdl
40 > spell
41 > truetype
42 > truetype-fonts
43 > type1-fonts
44 > vorbis
45 > xml2
46 > xmms
49 When I did my first Gentoo install in the 1.4ish era, I was pretty
50 shocked to see roughly this same insane list. I quickly learned about
51 the -* trick, as the main thing that brought me to this distro was
52 the minimalist factor. As you pointed out, -* is pretty ugly as it
53 leaves the user with the task of recreating a sane default use list.
54
55 [...]
58 > So yeah, subprofiles, reasons why not?
59
60 Aside from the work involved, I see no reason to not use the cascades
61 for what they seem to be made for.
64 --Kito
67 > My slightly flamey 2 cents
68 > ~harring