From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:00:51
1 On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 10:52, foser wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 10:29 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > Do you see the irony is this situation?
4 > > a) "A maintainer does not need to be part of the (2nd) maintaining
5 > > herd."
6 > > b) "you cannot assign something without consent ever"
7 > > c) "Not adding metadata is against policy"
8 > > d) this is quoting from the skel.metadata.xml
9 > > "herd is a required subelement."
10 > >
11 > > if a, b, c and d cant be met for whatever reason then "no-herd" would be
12 > > the appropriate choice. It's already the default in the skel so I'm not
13 > > actually proposing anything new here.
14 >
15 > Why can't a, b & c be met ? They can always be met if you put the effort
16 > in.
17 >
18 > > I like this option of using $CATEGORY. I would happily use it if
19 > > somebody else (you?) with the motivation to gets everything created to
20 > > meet these requirements and formalizes this into a standard.
21 >
22 > herds based on categories are not a good idea most of the time, there is
23 > no common ground, especially if you talk about *-misc categories. If
24 > something falls back to a herd where everyone has a 'role' to only take
25 > care of a specific pack in the end nothing gets done about packages
26 > outside of that scope, I even think there already examples of herds
27 > where this happened.
28
29 heh ok so were back to 'no-herd' aka NULL
33 > - foser
34 --
35 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
36 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer