From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:50:52
1 On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 10:29 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Do you see the irony is this situation?
3 > a) "A maintainer does not need to be part of the (2nd) maintaining
4 > herd."
5 > b) "you cannot assign something without consent ever"
6 > c) "Not adding metadata is against policy"
7 > d) this is quoting from the skel.metadata.xml
8 > "herd is a required subelement."
9 >
10 > if a, b, c and d cant be met for whatever reason then "no-herd" would be
11 > the appropriate choice. It's already the default in the skel so I'm not
12 > actually proposing anything new here.
13
14 Why can't a, b & c be met ? They can always be met if you put the effort
15 in.
16
17 > I like this option of using $CATEGORY. I would happily use it if
18 > somebody else (you?) with the motivation to gets everything created to
19 > meet these requirements and formalizes this into a standard.
20
21 herds based on categories are not a good idea most of the time, there is
22 no common ground, especially if you talk about *-misc categories. If
23 something falls back to a herd where everyone has a 'role' to only take
24 care of a specific pack in the end nothing gets done about packages
25 outside of that scope, I even think there already examples of herds
26 where this happened.
27
28 - foser