From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:31:13
1 On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 20:53, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > To ease off foser's comments I'll throw a few more words :).
3 >
4 > First I'd like to state that *personally* (emphasis to avoid accusations that
5 > I am forcing non-existant policy ;)) I am against "registering" no-herd in
6 > herds.xml. This does not bring us any close to the accountability which is a
7 > primary goal of all this metadata introduction, but rather makes this
8 > temporary "solution" more permanent (not like its too transient atm :)).
9 > However unfortunately not every situation can be easily resolved, but I'd
10 > rather have us come up with some better solution..
11 >
12 > Ok, condensing your message I see you mentioned two situations where you feel
13 > no-herd is necessary:
14 > > when an ebuild does not fit into any existing herds or when a
15 > > maintainer is not apart of what would perhaps be a fitting herd.
16 >
17 > While 1st situation is truly unaccounted for and gives the most trouble, the
18 > 2nd one is covered and was specifically discussed (back all that time). In
19 > this case (package belongs to some herd but has a maintainer not willing to
20 > be in that herd) metadata.xml is supposed to list this herd and have a
21 > separate maintainer entry for this dev who, in turn, would not be listed in
22 > that particular herd in herds.xml. Bug wranglers are supposed then to assign
23 > all package-related bugs to this maintainer and (may be optionally, I am not
24 > totally sure on this one) CC the herd alias.
25 >
26 > As foser pointed out, if the package is not yet added to this herd this should
27 > first be discussed with that herd maintainers. Since we are talking about a
28 > situation when this package conceptually falls into the corresponding
29 > category, herd devs shouldn't be opposed with the understanding that the
30 > proposing dev will serve as its maintainer (and bug-wrangling happens as
31 > described).
34 Do you see the irony is this situation?
35 a) "A maintainer does not need to be part of the (2nd) maintaining
36 herd."
37 b) "you cannot assign something without consent ever"
38 c) "Not adding metadata is against policy"
39 d) this is quoting from the skel.metadata.xml
40 "herd is a required subelement."
41
42 if a, b, c and d cant be met for whatever reason then "no-herd" would be
43 the appropriate choice. It's already the default in the skel so I'm not
44 actually proposing anything new here.
47 > Actually, the 1st situation might be attacked by introducing some more generic
48 > herd (e.g. x11-misc, just follow the categories) and individual devs list
49 > themselves in herds.xml with a <role> clause or just have a single fall-back
50 > person and add themselves to individual metadata.xml's as maintainers. The
51 > utility of this approach is limited to some basic accountability and I
52 > realise it may be hard to sign-up people to such groups. But that's at least
53 > an attempt :). May be somebody would have a better idea on how to cover such
54 > situation (not involving a non-existant herd and thus dropping any hope to
55 > get a fall-back coverage)?
56
57 I like this option of using $CATEGORY. I would happily use it if
58 somebody else (you?) with the motivation to gets everything created to
59 meet these requirements and formalizes this into a standard.
62 > George
65 > --
66 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
67 --
68 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
69 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer