From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:53:31
1 To ease off foser's comments I'll throw a few more words :).
2
3 First I'd like to state that *personally* (emphasis to avoid accusations that
4 I am forcing non-existant policy ;)) I am against "registering" no-herd in
5 herds.xml. This does not bring us any close to the accountability which is a
6 primary goal of all this metadata introduction, but rather makes this
7 temporary "solution" more permanent (not like its too transient atm :)).
8 However unfortunately not every situation can be easily resolved, but I'd
9 rather have us come up with some better solution..
10
11 Ok, condensing your message I see you mentioned two situations where you feel
12 no-herd is necessary:
13 > when an ebuild does not fit into any existing herds or when a
14 > maintainer is not apart of what would perhaps be a fitting herd.
15
16 While 1st situation is truly unaccounted for and gives the most trouble, the
17 2nd one is covered and was specifically discussed (back all that time). In
18 this case (package belongs to some herd but has a maintainer not willing to
19 be in that herd) metadata.xml is supposed to list this herd and have a
20 separate maintainer entry for this dev who, in turn, would not be listed in
21 that particular herd in herds.xml. Bug wranglers are supposed then to assign
22 all package-related bugs to this maintainer and (may be optionally, I am not
23 totally sure on this one) CC the herd alias.
24
25 As foser pointed out, if the package is not yet added to this herd this should
26 first be discussed with that herd maintainers. Since we are talking about a
27 situation when this package conceptually falls into the corresponding
28 category, herd devs shouldn't be opposed with the understanding that the
29 proposing dev will serve as its maintainer (and bug-wrangling happens as
30 described).
31
32 Actually, the 1st situation might be attacked by introducing some more generic
33 herd (e.g. x11-misc, just follow the categories) and individual devs list
34 themselves in herds.xml with a <role> clause or just have a single fall-back
35 person and add themselves to individual metadata.xml's as maintainers. The
36 utility of this approach is limited to some basic accountability and I
37 realise it may be hard to sign-up people to such groups. But that's at least
38 an attempt :). May be somebody would have a better idea on how to cover such
39 situation (not involving a non-existant herd and thus dropping any hope to
40 get a fall-back coverage)?
41
42 George
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list