From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-project] Re: towards a more distributed model
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:58:22
1 On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/19/2014 06:27 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
3 >> On 11/19/2014 03:36 PM, hasufell wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> In the end, I'm not sure if this is actually such a big problem. You can
6 >>> still use random ebuilds from random overlays and commit them straight
7 >>> to your own overlay.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> A bad idea. Bad because of the same reason why copy-past in your code
11 >> would be bad.
14 > Depends. If a third-party overlay dependency regularly breaks my
15 > packages, I am going to copy paste it into my own to have more control
16 > over it.
17 >
18 > At that point it is forked. I don't see what's wrong with forking.
21 What happens when 3 overlays all fork the same dependency, and you
22 want to use all three?
23
24 The distributed repository works well for release-based distros since
25 the core of the OS is fixed. A repository for Ubuntu x.y will always
26 work with Ubuntu x.y, since Ubuntu x.y isn't going to upgrade from
27 libfoo-2 to incompatible libfoo-2.3.
28
29 On the other hand, libraries on Gentoo can change without warning, and
30 the only quality standard we impose is that the main repo still works
31 (with no forced testing of distributed repos).
32
33 If we want to truly support first-class distributed repos, then we'll
34 need to impose a number of standards on the main tree that we do not
35 impose today.
38 Rich