From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item for uClibc-ng deprecation
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:08:42
1 On 8/17/2021 13:49, Sam James wrote:
4 >> On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:19, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
5 >> [snip]
6 >>
7 >> According to the uClibc-ng website, 1.0.38 was released earlier this year
8 >> (March 27th). Was an announcement put out somewhere about the project not
9 >> being maintained any further beyond that release, or has it gone quiet after
10 >> that?
11 >
12 > Upstream supporting something doesn't mean that's the case in Gentoo. The
13 > last "proper" mention of deprecating uclibc in Gentoo was from blueness
14 > in January this year [0].
15 >
16 > Funnily enough: while digging for the email, I did notice you replied [1] and couldn't
17 > build ncurses, which is pretty apt for illustrating the problems here. That is, no developers
18 > within Gentoo are supporting uclibc, none of us are really surprised when common/core packages
19 > break, and the tracker [2] at least is rotting (as are other uclibc-related bugs).
20 >
21 > The gist is, it's not really supported anymore now. This is just about formally dropping
22 > it. I'd be really surprised if anyone is able to use this day-to-day without a fair amount
23 > of patches.
24 >
25 > In terms of "alt libcs", musl has won that fight. Maybe if somebody wants to step in future,
26 > we can look at uclibc-ng again, but I don't think we've got the resources right now.
27 >
28 > [0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/8b376050c51c7fa9a8a05246feb8c781
29 > [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/258c08a43961269338e4c9238783f8fe
30 > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/570544
33 >> I haven't been able to base a MIPS environment on uclibc-ng since 2019 when
34 >> Python3 in my stage3's mysteriously all started failing for unexplained
35 >> reasons. Thought about trying to bootstrap a new environment from scratch
36 >> at some point, but just haven't gotten around to it.
39 > That sounds like a good reason to dump it too ;)
40
41 The thing is, the breakage I describe is *really* weird. Unpack my 2019
42 uclibc-ng stage3 on a MIPS system, chroot in, everything works fine. But
43 the instant you recompile ncurses inside of it, using the *same* Portage
44 snapshot that it was built from, the Python interpreter falls over with a
45 NULL deref in its curses module. I've debugged it down to the exact line of
46 C code in Python, but cannot find an explanation why it fails.
47
48 I've had my share of weird crap running these SGI systems, but this one
49 takes the cake. That's why I gave up on uclibc-ng for a time until I could
50 try kickstarting a new build from scratch using OpenADK (which still
51 supports older pre-mips32/64r* platforms). No other choice, really, because
52 once Python goes down, so too does emerge.
53
54 Even bugged it on Python's bug tracker, but no surprise it's gone ignored:
55 https://bugs.python.org/issue39819
56
57 In any event, yeah, I don't have a real issue with dropping it. I've
58 noticed that some of the more recent commits to it are really just ingesting
59 chunks of glibc and stripping out some of the macro fluff. There's actually
60 a change in upstream glibc I've yet to test on one of my non-coherent cache
61 platforms that uclibc-ng pulled in that probably breaks them in fun fun ways
62 (not that that platform ever worked well from the beginning, though...).
65 Joshua Kinard
66 Gentoo/MIPS
67 kumba@g.o
68 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
69 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
70
71 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
72 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
73
74 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic