From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item for uClibc-ng deprecation
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:52:19
1 On 8/17/21 2:08 PM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 8/17/2021 13:49, Sam James wrote:
5 >>> On 17 Aug 2021, at 16:19, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> [snip]
7 >>>
8 >>> According to the uClibc-ng website, 1.0.38 was released earlier this year
9 >>> (March 27th). Was an announcement put out somewhere about the project not
10 >>> being maintained any further beyond that release, or has it gone quiet after
11 >>> that?
12 >>
13 >> Upstream supporting something doesn't mean that's the case in Gentoo. The
14 >> last "proper" mention of deprecating uclibc in Gentoo was from blueness
15 >> in January this year [0].
16 >>
17 >> Funnily enough: while digging for the email, I did notice you replied [1] and couldn't
18 >> build ncurses, which is pretty apt for illustrating the problems here. That is, no developers
19 >> within Gentoo are supporting uclibc, none of us are really surprised when common/core packages
20 >> break, and the tracker [2] at least is rotting (as are other uclibc-related bugs).
21 >>
22 >> The gist is, it's not really supported anymore now. This is just about formally dropping
23 >> it. I'd be really surprised if anyone is able to use this day-to-day without a fair amount
24 >> of patches.
25 >>
26 >> In terms of "alt libcs", musl has won that fight. Maybe if somebody wants to step in future,
27 >> we can look at uclibc-ng again, but I don't think we've got the resources right now.
28 >>
29 >> [0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/8b376050c51c7fa9a8a05246feb8c781
30 >> [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/258c08a43961269338e4c9238783f8fe
31 >> [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/570544
32 >>
33 >>>
34 >>> I haven't been able to base a MIPS environment on uclibc-ng since 2019 when
35 >>> Python3 in my stage3's mysteriously all started failing for unexplained
36 >>> reasons. Thought about trying to bootstrap a new environment from scratch
37 >>> at some point, but just haven't gotten around to it.
38 >>>
39 >>
40 >> That sounds like a good reason to dump it too ;)
41 >
42 > The thing is, the breakage I describe is *really* weird. Unpack my 2019
43 > uclibc-ng stage3 on a MIPS system, chroot in, everything works fine. But
44 > the instant you recompile ncurses inside of it, using the *same* Portage
45 > snapshot that it was built from, the Python interpreter falls over with a
46 > NULL deref in its curses module. I've debugged it down to the exact line of
47 > C code in Python, but cannot find an explanation why it fails.
48 >
49 > I've had my share of weird crap running these SGI systems, but this one
50 > takes the cake. That's why I gave up on uclibc-ng for a time until I could
51 > try kickstarting a new build from scratch using OpenADK (which still
52 > supports older pre-mips32/64r* platforms). No other choice, really, because
53 > once Python goes down, so too does emerge.
54 >
55 > Even bugged it on Python's bug tracker, but no surprise it's gone ignored:
56 > https://bugs.python.org/issue39819
57 >
58 > In any event, yeah, I don't have a real issue with dropping it. I've
59 > noticed that some of the more recent commits to it are really just ingesting
60 > chunks of glibc and stripping out some of the macro fluff. There's actually
61 > a change in upstream glibc I've yet to test on one of my non-coherent cache
62 > platforms that uclibc-ng pulled in that probably breaks them in fun fun ways
63 > (not that that platform ever worked well from the beginning, though...).
66 Its broken on every arch. Its time for it to go. What little time I
67 have I need to put into musl.
70 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
71 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
72 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
74 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA