From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 15:57:10
1 Michael Orlitzky posted on Tue, 15 Aug 2017 23:22:54 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 08/14/2017 08:01 AM, Jason Zaman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I'll give an example where revbumps are significantly inferior to
6 >> --changed-use.
7 >>
8 >> ... With --changed-use, only the people who need it (ie selinux users)
9 >> will rebuild and everyone is happy (selinux users because the program
10 >> now works and non-selinux users because they did not rebuild for no
11 >> reason).
12 >
13 > But this benefit exists only for Portage users, and can only be obtained
14 > by throwing the others under the bus.
15
16 But even if that's the case (I wouldn't know), it's the case due to a
17 deliberate decision of those going "under the bus", because portage is
18 the default, and by choosing to use some other PM, they've deliberately
19 chosen its (non-PMS) features over those of portage.
20
21 Just as I, by choosing --newuse instead, have chosen to do rebuilds in
22 such cases, even with portage.
23
24 (Tho TBH I've never noticed that particular case, probably because it's
25 lost in the noise compared to --changed-deps (enabled when static-deps
26 were newer and I wanted to be sure, likely unneeded these days) and smart-
27 live-rebuild of my (live) kde packages.)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman