From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: rich0@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:17:40
1 On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 09:02:46 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > If I ask somebody who knows nothing about algorithms to sort a list in
6 > Python they're going to use foo.sort(). If I ask somebody who knows
7 > nothing about algorithms to sort a list in C they're going to write a
8 > bubble sort, and it will be WAY slower for anything more than a dozen
9 > elements.
10
11 This assumes that the person doesn't do it manually in Python and
12 doesn't make use of already implemented functionality (eg. qsort) in C,
13 which jumps out as the first Google result; generalizations like these
14 are subjective, because it's just your view and thoughts of reality.
15
16 > Honestly, you're writing as if you're talking to a bunch of people who
17 > don't know anything about how computers work, and the reality is that
18 > you'll be hard-pressed to find an audience more familiar with
19 > compilers/toolchains/linkers/etc just about anywhere.
20
21 Indeed, a lot of us are CompSci students have that algorithmic
22 complexity drilled in since the first year. If we need performance,
23 we'll put it to great use; an occasional prototype, not so much.
24
25 > If you have the right algorithm nobody is arguing that it will run
26 > faster if compiled from correctly-written C. The problem is that
27 > right now we don't have the right algorithm, and we're likely to get a
28 > lot further with fixing that faster in a language like python than in
29 > C.
30
31 Actually, language doesn't even matter here; just push that power off
32 button 'n get back to paper, then fix it in even faster pseudo code. :)
33
34 (Well, unless you type pseudo code faster than you write it down ... :P)
37 With kind regards,
38
39 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
40 Gentoo Developer
41
42 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
43 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
44 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D