From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:04:22
1 On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello Patrick,
3 >
4 > Friday, January 10, 2014, 4:39:59 PM, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> Bad code is bad. You can write bad code in any language.
7 >
8 > BTW Perl is faster than Python too.
9 >
10 > Try writing quick sort in Perl, Ptyhon and G++
11 >
12 > then dump the memory.
13 >
14 > And watch the miracle.
15
16 I think you're missing the point.
17
18 If I ask somebody who knows nothing about algorithms to sort a list in
19 Python they're going to use foo.sort(). If I ask somebody who knows
20 nothing about algorithms to sort a list in C they're going to write a
21 bubble sort, and it will be WAY slower for anything more than a dozen
22 elements.
23
24 Honestly, you're writing as if you're talking to a bunch of people who
25 don't know anything about how computers work, and the reality is that
26 you'll be hard-pressed to find an audience more familiar with
27 compilers/toolchains/linkers/etc just about anywhere.
28
29 If you have the right algorithm nobody is arguing that it will run
30 faster if compiled from correctly-written C. The problem is that
31 right now we don't have the right algorithm, and we're likely to get a
32 lot further with fixing that faster in a language like python than in
33 C.
34
35 But, nobody is opposing the work - there are two alternative package
36 managers for Gentoo today, and one of them is full-featured. Neither
37 are written in python.
38
39 Rich