From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:30:05
1 On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:03, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > I've been very happy with using svn+trac overlays to bridge this gap.
4 > > They provide a sandbox for contributions to be shared and evaluated.
5 > > They provide a place where I've been able to give commit access to
6 > > non-devs, so that they can learn the ropes w/out threatening the
7 > > Portage tree proper. They provide a place where people who just want
8 > > to write docs for a single package can contribute.
9 > >
10 > > Overlays create a sense of participation that's lacking with Bugzilla
11 > > patch submissions. Backed up with regular communication (I recommend
12 > > not recruiting anyone who won't spend time in the IRC channels, but
13 > > that's a personal preference), they help us get things done quicker.
14 > >
15 > > The downside with overlays at the moment is that they're scattered
16 > > around the net, and if you don't know where to look they can be very
17 > > hard to find. I've been talking with infra about providing
18 > > overlays.g.o as a central hosting service for herd and individual
19 > > developer overlays. Infra have been very supportive of the idea. I
20 > > just need to free up some time to get the service launched.
21 >
22 > This definitely sounds like a fun idea. It would be even cooler if we
23 > were using a distributed SCM on both ends that allowed for easy merging.
24
25 I agree, I'd love to see something like this, that way I could have my xfce
26 stuff someplace more public then my devspace....the only thing that would
27 have to be clear is how official the overlays actually were, e.g. how prone
28 the team looking after the overlay would be to accepting bugs via the usual
29 b.g.o channels etc.
32 Daniel Ostrow
33 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
34 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}