From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:12:38
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I've been very happy with using svn+trac overlays to bridge this gap.
3 > They provide a sandbox for contributions to be shared and evaluated.
4 > They provide a place where I've been able to give commit access to
5 > non-devs, so that they can learn the ropes w/out threatening the
6 > Portage tree proper. They provide a place where people who just want
7 > to write docs for a single package can contribute.
8 >
9 > Overlays create a sense of participation that's lacking with Bugzilla
10 > patch submissions. Backed up with regular communication (I recommend
11 > not recruiting anyone who won't spend time in the IRC channels, but
12 > that's a personal preference), they help us get things done quicker.
13 >
14 > The downside with overlays at the moment is that they're scattered
15 > around the net, and if you don't know where to look they can be very
16 > hard to find. I've been talking with infra about providing
17 > overlays.g.o as a central hosting service for herd and individual
18 > developer overlays. Infra have been very supportive of the idea. I
19 > just need to free up some time to get the service launched.
20
21 This definitely sounds like a fun idea. It would be even cooler if we
22 were using a distributed SCM on both ends that allowed for easy merging.
23
24 Donnie