From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:10:27
1 > This definitely sounds like a fun idea. It would be even cooler if we
2 > were using a distributed SCM on both ends that allowed for easy merging.
3 >
4 > Donnie
5
6 It's probably the right time for me to flesh out what I've been
7 planning for overlays.g.o.
8
9 The vision I have for overlays.g.o is one official home for all Gentoo
10 overlays run by projects and by individual Gentoo devs. I see the
11 homepage itself running Planet (just like planet.g.o), using the RSS
12 feeds from the overlays to display the changelogs from all the
13 overlays. The links down the left hand side of the page go to the
14 homepage for each of the overlays. The homepages are separate wiki
15 instances.
16
17 http://overlays.g.o/proj/<project-name>/ for overlays run by herds
18 listed in herds.xml
19 http://overlays.g.o/svn/<project-name>/ for the SVN repos
20
21 and
22
23 http://overlays.g.o/dev/<developer>/ for overlays run by individual developers
24 http://overlays.g.o/svn/<developer>/ for the SVN repos
25
26 There's a practical limit to the amount of software we can support on
27 overlays.g.o. The less we install, the less the overhead of
28 administrating this system for infra and the overlays admin team (I'm
29 looking for responsible volunteers to join that team, if you're
30 interested).
31
32 I'd like to offer two wiki engines and two version control systems on
33 overlays.g.o. I believe that gives us enough choice without us
36 One thing that was never planned was any form of shell access to this
37 box, except for the team creating/destroying overlays. It looks like
38 this will be necessary to support a distributed vcs. I'll talk to
39 infra and see what we could do about providing some form of ssh access
40 to help us support a distributed vcs.
41
42 Trac and SVN would be my first choice. MoinMoin would be my
43 recommendation for the second wiki engine. What should the second
44 version control system be? I don't use them, I have no experience
45 with them, and so I have no preference of what this should be.
46
47 To answer Daniel's question about "official" ... the overlays hosted
48 on overlays.g.o would be "official". The "overlays" project will be
49 accountable for overlays.g.o overall. It would make sense for the
50 "overlays" project to be a sub-project of infra.
51
52 To ensure "officialness" and (what I personally care more about)
53 accountability, project overlays will be created for projects that
54 meet the description of a project in the metastructure [1]. The
55 overlays team will have to be strict on this, to ensure
56 "officialness". The overlay must be requested by one of the leads of
57 the project. The lead(s) would be jointly accountable for the overlay
58 and all its contents. Leads will be able to ask for commit / wiki
59 edit access for non-devs.
60
61 Developer overlays would only be created for active Gentoo developers,
62 and they would be accountable for its contents. Non-developers will
63 not be given write access to developer overlays.
64
65 By default - working on the same principle of trust that governs all
66 developers w.r.t. the Portage tree - all developers will be able to
67 commit to all overlays. If we can't trust you to respect other
68 people's overlays, then we can't trust you with commit access to the
69 Portage tree, and you're not fit to be a Gentoo dev in the first place
70 :P The only "restriction" will be that you'll need to ask the overlay
71 project team to setup your access the very first time.
72
73 Anyone wanting a "secret" overlay needs to make their own hosting arrangements.
74
75 To answer Daniel's other question, about bugs.g.o ... trac on
76 overlays.g.o will have its bug tracking system disabled. We already
77 have one bug tracking system - bugs.g.o - and that's sufficient.
78
79 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0039.html
80
81 Best regards,