From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: stuart@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:12:48
1 Hi Stuart,
2
3 I'd like to comment on some of your plans for overlays.g.o.
4
5 Am Mittwoch, 22. März 2006 23:03 schrieb Stuart Herbert:
6 > It's probably the right time for me to flesh out what I've been
7 > planning for overlays.g.o.
8 >
9 > The vision I have for overlays.g.o is one official home for all Gentoo
10 > overlays run by projects and by individual Gentoo devs. I see the
11 Also for Arch/Herd Testers?
12
13 > homepage itself running Planet (just like planet.g.o), using the RSS
14 > feeds from the overlays to display the changelogs from all the
15 > overlays. The links down the left hand side of the page go to the
16 > homepage for each of the overlays. The homepages are separate wiki
17 > instances.
18 Well, there is a couple of Gentoo devs who are not particularly comfortable
19 with wikis (including myself). Why change things the way they are currently?
20 I'd suggest to use one repository per project and to add a 'website' or 'site'
21 directory. In this case we could use the good ol' GuideXML/SCM combination.
22 >
23 > http://overlays.g.o/proj/<project-name>/ for overlays run by herds
24 > listed in herds.xml
25 > http://overlays.g.o/svn/<project-name>/ for the SVN repos
26 >
27 > and
28 Like above: use http://o.g.o/proj/<project-name>/ for the information content
29 and http://o.g.o/proj/<project-name>/svn/ for the overlay.
30
31 > http://overlays.g.o/dev/<developer>/ for overlays run by individual
32 > developers http://overlays.g.o/svn/<developer>/ for the SVN repos
33 same as above :-)
34
35 > There's a practical limit to the amount of software we can support on
36 > overlays.g.o. The less we install, the less the overhead of
37 > administrating this system for infra and the overlays admin team (I'm
38 > looking for responsible volunteers to join that team, if you're
39 > interested).
40 Another reason for dropping the wiki
41 >
42 > I'd like to offer two wiki engines and two version control systems on
43 > overlays.g.o. I believe that gives us enough choice without us
45 In case we use wiki, why _two_ wiki engines?
46
47 > To answer Daniel's question about "official" ... the overlays hosted
48 > on overlays.g.o would be "official". The "overlays" project will be
49 > accountable for overlays.g.o overall. It would make sense for the
50 > "overlays" project to be a sub-project of infra.
51
52 > To ensure "officialness" and (what I personally care more about)
53 > accountability, project overlays will be created for projects that
54 > meet the description of a project in the metastructure [1]. The
55 > overlays team will have to be strict on this, to ensure
56 > "officialness". The overlay must be requested by one of the leads of
57 > the project. The lead(s) would be jointly accountable for the overlay
58 > and all its contents. Leads will be able to ask for commit / wiki
59 > edit access for non-devs.
60 Please consider also to let QA and Security have commit access to all overlays
61 (If they're so inclined).
62
63 > Developer overlays would only be created for active Gentoo developers,
64 > and they would be accountable for its contents. Non-developers will
65 > not be given write access to developer overlays.
66
67 > By default - working on the same principle of trust that governs all
68 > developers w.r.t. the Portage tree - all developers will be able to
69 > commit to all overlays. If we can't trust you to respect other
70 > people's overlays, then we can't trust you with commit access to the
71 > Portage tree, and you're not fit to be a Gentoo dev in the first place
72 I would say this should be clarified some more. Surely anybody with an access
73 to an overlay can commit, but the projects should be the keepers of the keys.
74 Overlays are not the tree, they are probably very experimental. I could
75 imagine that i wouldn't want anyone to modify say an experimental gcc ebuild
76 from toolchain's overlay for example.
77
78 Stuart: Overall, i like your proposal. I would suggest to turn it into a GLEP
79 and I'm willing to help you with this.
80
81 Danny
82 --
83 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
84 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
87 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list