From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:24:29
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 On 3/20/06, Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
4 > One of the bigger problems is that we have a huge user community who are
5 > keen on contributing, but we have such a high barrier for entry to the
6 > developer community. Quite rightly so - we're dealing with a live tree,
7 > so we can't give out commit access on the street.
8 >
9 > At the same time, I feel that we're missing out. Comparing Gentoo with
10 > some other large open-source communities that I am personally involved
11 > in, I feel that we're too closed.
12
13 The two big problems are that non-devs don't know where to go to get
14 involved, and if they want to do more than just chat, there isn't
15 anywhere for them to go.
16
17 I've been very happy with using svn+trac overlays to bridge this gap.
18 They provide a sandbox for contributions to be shared and evaluated.
19 They provide a place where I've been able to give commit access to
20 non-devs, so that they can learn the ropes w/out threatening the
21 Portage tree proper. They provide a place where people who just want
22 to write docs for a single package can contribute.
23
24 Overlays create a sense of participation that's lacking with Bugzilla
25 patch submissions. Backed up with regular communication (I recommend
26 not recruiting anyone who won't spend time in the IRC channels, but
27 that's a personal preference), they help us get things done quicker.
28
29 The downside with overlays at the moment is that they're scattered
30 around the net, and if you don't know where to look they can be very
31 hard to find. I've been talking with infra about providing
32 overlays.g.o as a central hosting service for herd and individual
33 developer overlays. Infra have been very supportive of the idea. I
34 just need to free up some time to get the service launched.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Stu
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list