From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:29:02
1 On 02/02/2017 12:23 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:11:26AM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote
3 >
4 >> 2 To avoid an unsatisfied REQUIRED_USE by default.
5 >>
6 >> * Example: having a non-empty RUBY_TARGETS by default.
7 >
8 > What's wrong with having emerge spit out an error message, and telling
9 > the user that they need to set a flag to one of 2-or-more options?
12 If everything is already sorted out on your machine, and the package
13 you're trying to install is something you care about, then you're right:
14 I think most people would like to be prompted and make a choice.
15
16 But imagine a fresh install, where you've set your USE flags and are
17 about to do the final emerge -e @world. It's going to stop and prompt
18 you 1,000 times to e.g. pick a ruby implementation, when I don't want
19 ruby and don't care about ruby but it just happens to be used in the
20 build system for webkit-gtk. If 90% of the prompts are for things like
21 that, people will start defenestrating their Gentoo systems.