From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 03:18:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jory A. Pratt wrote:
5 > Nathan you have this misconception that just cause a bug apears on
6 > one system it is gonna apear on multiple systems.
7
8 What are you talking about? This whole discussion was framed with the
9 situation where the *developer* determines that the bug report has
10 merit. From my original post:
11
12 "In the bug, I believe the dev implies that the reported bug has merit
13 /yet he closes the bug before actually doing something about it/."
14
15 > Most compilation
16 > bugs that I have seen are usually due to user not maintaining their
17 > configurations properly.
18
19 Then that wouldn't be something that a dev would submit a fix for, now
20 would it?
21
22 > You also still fail to understand that most
23 > of us maintain more packages than just one and it is impossible for us
24 > to take and drop what we are working on to help test and confirm that
25 > a bug does exist and is not user error.
26
27 Again, you are confusing what I am suggesting with a completely
28 different situation. NEVER have I suggested that user configuration
29 problems should have some elaborate verification process.
30
31 > As far as team leads go they
32 > make sure the project stay on task and packages and bugs are handled
33 > in a timely manner.
34
35 Great! My hat's off to them!
36
37 > I would like to know do you want us to have 15
38 > devs test for a particular bug if a team lead is not avaliable or
39 > would you like us to have just 2 people test?
40
41 OK, now you're rambling. If a team lead isn't available they should have
42 a designated sub. That has nothing to do with the bug closer process;
43 that is a Gentoo organization issue.
44
45 > This has gotten way out of control with time and how issues are
46 > delt with, personally I think that you have a vendictive against a few
47 > devs that have closed bugs on you that they have not been able to
48 > replicate and/or find invalid.
49
50 Yes, that tinfoil hat is paying off nicely for you. ;)
51
52 Seriously, my suggestion has nothing to with bugs that are found to be
53 invalid. Please read the thread carefully and that should become apparent.
54
55 Furthermore, I don't hold grudges against people who disagree with me.
56
57 And lastly, what bugs have I filed that were marked invalid that would
58 lead me to start this great conspiracy against some devs? Please
59 enlighten me:
60
61 http://bugs.gentoo.org/query.cgi?format=advanced
62
63 > I can not say either way all I know is
64 > you in FACT have a misconception of how much time goes into testing
65 > before a package is moved to stable.
66
67 Now you're a mind reader too. Please tell me what else I have a
68 misconception about. I'm sure my life will be greatly enriched by your
69 sage wisdom in the matter! ;)
70
71 If you want to continue the flamewar, I suggest we take it off this
72 mailing list; other subscribers might not find it as entertaining as I do...
73
74 Nathan
75
84 --