From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please consider removing use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.mask
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:24:04
1 Hi,
2
3 On 11/13/2013 12:39 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 > On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:28:02 +0000 (UTC)
5 > Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Hello.
8 >>
9 >> The new "features" use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.mask
10 >> have turned maintaining systems with mixed ARCH and ~ARCH keywords
11 >> into a nightmare:
12 >
13 > They are considered unsupported by many; so, going down that path you
14 > need to be acquainted with Portage enough to keep a consistent system.
15
16 This argument has come up several times, but is it valid? For me
17 and other people I know, the main reason to use Gentoo is the
18 rolling release model and this implies that you can mix package
19 versions as long as version dependencies are satisfied. When the
20 dependency is "cat/package" then this should mean that it works
21 with every version. If it does not, then the ebuild's
22 dependencies should be updated.
23
24 The handbook says nothing about "unsupported":
25
26 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=3
27
28 If "many" choose to change this policy, there is no reason
29 anymore for me to use Gentoo.
30
31 >> Similarly to the (fortunately dropped) concept of forcing
32 >> useflags if certain packages are installed this forces a
33 >> magic on the user which can hardly be managed since it is
34 >> not clearly presented to the user but hidden in some profiles.
35 >>
36 >> As I understand, it tries to solve a "social" issue
37 >> (that an ARCH user might set a USE-flag which eventually
38 >> pulls in an ~ARCH package) on a technical level
39 >> (by forcibly disabling the USE-flag for the user).
40 >
41 > That's one approach, it might also be used when a package can be
42 > stabilized but a certain of feature of the package cannot; eg.
43 > USE="minimal" could be broken on a certain package because it removed a
44 > bit too much, thus it could be stabilized with USE="-minimal" forced.
45 >
46 > Anyhow, I think we should make sure to weight "why we need to have it"
47 > against "how it bothers which users"; and not just focus on users alone.
48 >
49 > And other than that, are there alternatives? Something we can do better?
50
51 We could consider reducing the feature set of portage and live
52 with the "problems" that arise. When I started using Gentoo a
53 package could simply not go stable until all dependencies for all
54 USE flags were also stable. Masking USE flags was reserved to a
55 short list of very special architecture depend special cases.
56
57 [...]
58
59 >> 2. Just a few days ago dev-lang/python-exec:2 became stable
60 >> on amd64, but dev-python/python-exec:2 is still ~amd64.
61 >> Just to be sure to not miss anything, I have put the latter
62 >> into package.accept_keywords, and hell break loose:
63 >
64 > Hell indeed breaks loose if you mix stable and unstable; but note that
65 > this package had an accident, see the related news item for details.
66
67 Do you mean stable and unstable in this case, or in general?
68
69 [...]
70
71 In general I share the sentiment. The complexity of using
72 portage has increased a lot lately. Not only does it take long
73 to find out why things suddenly go wrong after tree sync, also
74 just the time until 'emerge -avUDN world' comes back with a
75 proposal has grown to several minutes where it was few seconds
76 when I started with Gentoo.
77
78 There has been a lot of effort to make revdep-rebuild unessecary,
79 but now that it is mostly implemented, I don't know if it was
80 worth the price. I spend more time now just reconfiguring
81 keywords to update the system than I spent back in the old days
82 where revdep would just fix things. If the answer is, that I
83 should not mix arch and ~arch, then I'll not use Gentoo anymore.
84
85 Cheers,
86 Thomas
90 Thomas Kahle