From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please consider removing use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.mask
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:38:04
1 On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/13/2013 12:39 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:28:02 +0000 (UTC)
4 >> Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hello.
7 >>>
8 >>> The new "features" use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.mask
9 >>> have turned maintaining systems with mixed ARCH and ~ARCH keywords
10 >>> into a nightmare:
11 >>
12 >> They are considered unsupported by many; so, going down that path you
13 >> need to be acquainted with Portage enough to keep a consistent system.
14 >
15 > This argument has come up several times, but is it valid?
16
17 Honestly, opinions vary on this one and I don't think it is a
18 productive path to go down. I also feel that being able to mix
19 keywords is a big benefit of using Gentoo. I'd rather focus on
20 practical ways to make this easier rather than whether it is
21 desirable.
22
23 That said, there are always going to be situations where mixing
24 keywords isn't practical. You're not going to run stable chromium
25 against ~arch v8, or mixed keywords between kdelibs and kwin, etc.
26
27 > We could consider reducing the feature set of portage and live
28 > with the "problems" that arise. When I started using Gentoo a
29 > package could simply not go stable until all dependencies for all
30 > USE flags were also stable. Masking USE flags was reserved to a
31 > short list of very special architecture depend special cases.
32
33 I don't think going backwards is the solution. Back in the old days
34 packages broke from time to time because we didn't have adequate ways
35 to express dependencies, and I don't think it is a good solution to
36 strip USE flags out of packages when they go stable so that users
37 don't even have the option to use them.
38
39 It makes more sense to identify what specifically is causing problems
40 and come up with better solutions to them. That said, your original
41 email contained a few separate issues and they're probably best dealt
42 with individually. We're not going to have a common solution for
43 multilib, stable use masking, python-exec, and whatever other issues
44 are lurking beneath the surface.
45
46 Rich