From: "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-UTF8
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:46:45
1 >>>>> "Spider" == Spider <spider@g.o> writes:
2
3 Spider> I'm looking for some advice to make a Gentoo installation
4 Spider> thats completely UTF-8 compliant. This is a developer
5 Spider> issue, ...
6
7 The first step is to fix the glibc ebuilds to install utf8 locales
8 w/o requiring manual intervention after every upgrade.
9
10 There are some apps that just don't work in utf8 -- acroread of
11 course has the standard kludge in its script, one of the chinese
12 dictionaries only displays useful fonts if it is invoked in a zh
13 locale, etc -- so getting a list of them would be a good starting
14 point.
15
16 There are also some subtle issues with some apps. Scribus has an
17 interesting bug where, when running in a (some?) utf8 locale(s)
18 one part of the code will deal correctly with utf8, but another
19 treats U+0080..U+00FF as single-octet latin1. Issues like that
20 could exist in other apps.
21
22 The above said, I do almost everything these days in utf8 and see
23 very few issues.
24
25 -JimC
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list