From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] User support system [WAS: Sunrise contemplations]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:57:32
1 On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 13:18 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > I already suggested an bug-reporting tool, which automatically
4 > > collects all the necessary data, several weeks ago. This tool is
5 > > simply called by commandline and asks the users several questions.
6 > > Then it files an bug with some certain syntax and uploads necessary
7 > > information (emerge --info, pkg-db extracts, ...).
8 >
9 > That somehow looks like the guided file-a-new-bug form we had some time ago.
10 > Personally, I'd rather have it in bugzilla, because a shell tool takes the user
11 > away from bugzilla, and after all you have to search for existing bugs anyway,
12 > so you already are on bugzilla.
13
14 Somehow I believe that most people will encounter bugs when on the
15 command line, so being able to search/post in bugzilla from the command
16 line is a pretty natural extension.
17
18 Using PyBugz as an example, typing this after an "emerge plptools" fails
19 is much easier than opening firefox, typing bugs.gentoo.org, finding the
20 search page and typing the package name in the search box in:
21
22 bugz search plptools
23
24 PyBugz actually has a 'bugz post' option that I've only used a couple of
25 times, but it actually prompts the user to submit their emerge --info.
26
27 Cheers,
28
29 Alastair