From: Daniel Campbell <dlcampbell@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:37:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 05/26/2013 01:55 AM, Micha³ Górny wrote:
5 > On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:24:03 -0500 Daniel Campbell
6 > <dlcampbell@×××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 >> On 05/25/2013 02:53 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
9 >>> We are moving too quickly on bug #448882 ([Tracker] packages
10 >>> not providing systemd units). We should come to better
11 >>> consensus on systemd integration and we were getting there
12 >>> with the idea of INSTALL_MASK. I don't know that it is a
13 >>> working solution yet. I have to oppose adding unit files
14 >>> unless we have a way to opt out for reasons I gave earlier,
15 >>> regarding embedded systems where one needs to conserve space
16 >>> aggressively. And we may have found a way to do so without
17 >>> cluttering ebuilds with USE flags.
18 >>>
19 >>> Can I ask the systemd people to design a working solution for
20 >>> opting out? I can't support this initiative without such a
21 >>> solution and I would be happy to work with the systemd people
22 >>> to reach it, ie I'll test.
23 >>
24 >> I'm not a dev (though I would like to be...), but consider me
25 >> interested in testing an opt-out method as well. I'm going to
26 >> try INSTALL_MASK and see what happens. I'm not sure if any of my
27 >> packages have systemd units yet, though.
28 >
29 > Please fix your e-mail client to send replies to the mail you are
30 > replying it, instead of the top mail in the thread.
31 >
32 >> As far as resisting systemd, why is that so bad? Vertical
33 >> integration is generally a bad idea with the sole exception of
34 >> when your use case(s) line up perfectly with the ivory tower and
35 >> you need all of the offered features. If Gentoo falls to
36 >> systemd, there will literally be no Linux-based distros left to
37 >> prevent it from taking over, and as a result Linux-based systems
38 >> will become more and more tightly integrated, killing the choice
39 >> that Gentoo truly stands for and homogenizing everything.
40 >
41 > It is bad because ebuilds are not place to put politics into. If
42 > you want to become dev, you should understand this. We are
43 > supposed to be serious people. Serious people don't break user
44 > systems or refuse to support them in the name of manifesting their
45 > wishes.
46 >
47 > It is bad because it's not systemd that's losing, it's Gentoo.
48 > Except for the fact that there's just a few people that take
49 > Gentoo seriously these days.
50 >
51 > Upstreams clearly show that they don't care. We can either sit in
52 > the corner and resent, or we can work on improving the situation.
53 > And going on flamewars or manifestations doesn't really improve
54 > anything, you should know that by now.
57 Sorry, I sent the e-mail to the list under the wrong e-mail address
58 and retooled a forward to try to correct it. It seems my idea didn't
59 work. I'm using Thunderbird, so if this reply is screwed up as well,
60 I'd appreciate some insight to fix it.
61
62 I agree that user systems shouldn't be broken, and that devs should be
63 serious about their responsibilities. I'm not exactly sure how Gentoo
64 is losing out on anything, but that's probably because I'm biased
65 against systemd. From the opposite side of the fence, Gentoo may
66 become less relevant to the vertical integration people if it doesn't
67 support systemd in some form. It's a choice and thus it should be
68 supported. If INSTALL_MASK is really all that's needed to protect
69 anti-systemd people, then perhaps the Gentoo team doesn't need to do
70 anything at all, so that's awesome.
71
72 Each time I see this come up I wish there wasn't so much activism
73 present in the GNU/Linux world so people could focus more on fixing
74 problems and less on politics, but the politics have to be acted on
75 and/or against or it gets in the way of problem-solving and software
76 diversity.
77
78 I stick with Gentoo because most of the people working on it seem so
79 level-headed and keep the idea of choice in mind. I guess I'm
80 rambling, so I guess I'll close with a "Thanks".