From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:16:14
1 On Tuesday 14 May 2002 10:52 am, Mark Bainter wrote:
2 > Jean-Michel Smith [jsmith@××××.com] wrote:
3 > > Reiserfs is NOT ready for production use, and the gentoo FAQ is both wise
4 > > and friendly for pointing that out and guiding people away from that
5 > > particular folly.
6 >
7 > I just can't agree. What exactly is your required time frame for running
8 > reiserfs with no problems before you think it's stable? I personally have
9 > been running reiserfs on my systems since before it was even merged into
10 > the mainline kernel. I work the hell out of my systems and I've never had
11 > a problem.
12
13 First, I've had resier lose data on systems that were running fine, i.e. were
14 NOT shut down improperly, or suffered a kernel hang, or any other sort of
15 disruption that one could reasonably expect would lead to filesystem
16 corruption.
17
18 In all the years I've been using GNU/Linux (since 1993) I have never seen this
19 on ext2. Nor have I seen it on XFS (which I have been using for over 3 years
20 now on several production boxes). I have not seen it happen with JFS or
21 ext3, though admittedly I haven't used either of those two nearly as
22 extensively as I have ext2 and XFS.
23
24 So, in answer to your first question, I require that a filesystem NOT
25 spontaneously lose or corrupt data, or mysteriously delete entire directory
26 trees with no apparent cause. To date all of the filesystems I have tried
27 have met this rather modest standard, with the exception of Reiser, which has
28 failed it dramatically.
29
30 Now, if you shut down a buffered filesystem improperly then yes, you should
31 expect filesystem corruption to occur (though most of the time you will get
32 lucky and be fine). Even there, I've not had filesystem corruption problems
33 with either XFS or JFS (though data can and does get lost/corrupted when the
34 power is interrupted in this fashion). ext3 the verdict is still out on
35 (I've only been playing with it on one machine ... thus far no problems but
36 more testing is required to be certain).
37
38 I've got GNU/Linux systems running as routers that have uptimes measured in
39 hundreds of days (one of them for 460 days last I checked), with never a
40 disruption or spontaneous filesystem going corrupt (they are using ext2).
41 Every single reiserfs installation I had (6 or 7 IIRC) had corrupt
42 filesystems that were unrecoverable within 6 months ... despite having never
43 been improperly shut down or otherwise mistreated in a fashion that would
44 lead one to expect, or accpet, such behavior.
45
46 Based on this experience I do not consider Reiserfs at all safe to deploy.
47 XFS is safe, as long as you're not aggressively hacking the kernel (it is
48 intrusive, so mucking about with other kenel hacks can affect its
49 reliability. For this reason, if you're using XFS you should stick to stock
50 kernels to which only the XFS patch has been applied IMHO). JFS also appears
51 to be very safe. Ext2 is very safe, as long as you treat it properly (do not
52 shutdown improperly, and keep on a UPS if there is a concern about power
53 reliability), or turn buffering off (this will slow it down, but make it safe
54 even in error prone situations, such as working with unstable, experimental
55 kernels or a buggy X installatino). Ext3 appears to be ok, but I haven't
56 used it enough to know that with certainty. I tend to treat my ext3
57 installation as an ext2 filesystem, so I haven't really put the journalling
58 to a thorough test yet.
59
60 Reiser comes nowhere near being as safe or stable as these alternatives (with
61 the possible exception of ext3 which I need to do more testing with).
62
63 Jean.