From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:52:44
1 Jean-Michel Smith [jsmith@××××.com] wrote:
2 > recover from backup tapes. Nevertheless it resulted in an allnighter getting
3 > the system back up, on a more reliable ext2 filesystem, followed by several
4 > days work as he moved other installations off of reiser and onto ext2 (his
5
6 And I've spent all-nighters restoring from ext2 filesystems, simply because
7 the system wasn't shut down properly.
8
9 > I have personally witnessed data loss using reiser on numerous occasions ...
10 > symptoms ranged from strange "undeletable" files that were corrupt, to entire
11 > directory trees vanishing for no apparent reason (but the disk usage
12 > remaining unchanged). No recovery was possible in either case (short of
13 > reconstructing a new filesystem from scratch and restoring from backups).
14
15 I just had strange undeletable files on my ext2 filesystem less than a
16 week ago. In fact, once I finally got it fixed, it happened two more times
17 that same night.
18
19 You also suggested ext3. Ext3 has been a disaster for me thus far. It's
20 been the only filesystem I've had trouble with (outside of the typical
21 issues we're all used to with ext2). However, I wouldn't go so far as to
22 say nobody should use it just because I and a few people I know have had
23 bad experiences with it. I know there are people out there running it
24 successfully but I wouldn't even trust it to hold my /tmp filesystem.
25
26 > In all these cases all of us had all been using reiserfs "for months with no
27 > problems" ... and we still suffered severe data loss.
28 >
29 > Reiserfs is NOT ready for production use, and the gentoo FAQ is both wise and
30 > friendly for pointing that out and guiding people away from that particular
31 > folly.
32
33 I just can't agree. What exactly is your required time frame for running
34 reiserfs with no problems before you think it's stable? I personally have
35 been running reiserfs on my systems since before it was even merged into the
36 mainline kernel. I work the hell out of my systems and I've never had a
37 problem.
38
39 I've had it in production systems as well, for almost as long. In systems
40 ranging from large, high load email servers, to web servers handling approx
41 1.5 million page views a month. I've never had a problem with it.
42
43 I'm not trying to be insulting, but lets not forget the human factor in this
44 equation. I don't really know you, or the people you cite, so please don't
45 take this as a slam on your skills, I'm just noting there's more to factor
46 in here than just the filesystem. If you don't know reiserfs that well, and
47 just know ext2, or ext3 maybe you have less problems because of that, rather
48 than because of the relative quality of the two filesystems.