From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:37:03
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Hobbit <little_hobbit@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Why should we care about ancient filesystems that didn't supported
3 >> long paths, and therefore we got stuck with /usr since we didn't
4 >> wanted to waste another *single* character to make it /user?
5 >
6 > Because of it's original name: "UNIX System Resources" (usr).
7
8 As William pointed out, this is just another silly rationalization
9 done after the fact. But, just for argument's sake, lets suppose that
10 "usr" was named like that because it was the acronym for "UNIX System
11 Resources".
12
13 *Who cares about that now?* It was 43 years ago. My cellphone is
14 thousands of times faster than the PDP-7 Unix was originally developed
15 for, and it has millions of times more storage. The length
16 restrictions imposed on system directories are completely superfluous
17 now.
18
19 All the arguments for keeping /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin
20 separated are really instances of the Chewbacca defense [1]. They just
21 don't make any sense.
22
23 If upstream projects want to move everything to one location, Gentoo
24 should follow suit. If enough Gentoo devs (as others had argued) want
25 to waste their efforts in maintaining this artificial and silly
26 division between /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin, it is of course
27 their prerogative. But it must be clear that all the rationale behind
28 said division was invented after the fact, and (as Rob Landley said in
29 his email [2]) maintained "for decades by bureaucrats who never
30 question _why_ they're doing things".
31
32 Regards.
33
34 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense