From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/x11-7* hides real bugs and breaks good ebuilds
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:05:32
1 On Thursday, 8 June 2006 5:15, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-07-06 at 18:41 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 > > Arek (James Potts) wrote:
4 > > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 > > >>> >=virtual/x11-7 is hiding breakage in ebuilds that are not ported for
6 > > >>>
7 > > >>> modular X.
8 > > >>
9 > > >> I couldn't agree more, but I was forced to add this rather than allow
10 > > >> unported ebuilds to break.
11 > > >
12 > > > Hmmm...Looks to me like it would be a great idea to fix the unported
13 > > > ebuilds. Would it be possible to mark virtual/x11-7 as deprecated
14 > > > (using enotice/ewarn or similar), in order to get people to port any
15 > > > build relying on it to modular X?
16 > > >
17 > > > The way I see it, once virtual/x11-7 has been deprecated for a while (6
18 > > > months to a year) and most popular packages have been ported to modular
19 > > > X, virtual/x11-7 and any packages still relying on it could be given
20 > > > Last Rites.
21 > >
22 > > Hmm, I don't think so... There's been a plenty of time to do this when
23 > > modular X has been package.masked, the remaining unported stuff didn't
24 > > get much further even after it's been unmasked. There's been a
25 > > (debatable) repoman check, which has been too annoying so devs nuked it
26 > > for themselves, now it's non-fatal warning again (which is mostly being
27 > > ignored).
28 > >
29 > > Soooo - I'd pretty much say until the real breakage is *visible* and
30 > > users start to scream - not much will change. Making it visible could
31 > > also help us differentiate between used and used stuff. If there's
32 > > something unported and you get no bug, then probably noone uses the
33 > > thing, nothing depends on it and it can be punted from the tree.
34 >
35 > Is there a recent list of non-ported packages ? Maybe we should do a
36 > last effort to port everything for a week or two and then package.mask
37 > the packages that no one cares enough about to port them.
38
39 games-roguelike/slashem is one package that I know of. It should have very
40 similar dependencies to nethack.
43 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
44 --
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list