From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/x11-7* hides real bugs and breaks good ebuilds
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:53:00
1 On Wed, 2006-07-06 at 18:41 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Arek (James Potts) wrote:
3 > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > >>> >=virtual/x11-7 is hiding breakage in ebuilds that are not ported for
5 > >>> modular X.
6 >
7 > >> I couldn't agree more, but I was forced to add this rather than allow
8 > >> unported ebuilds to break.
9 >
10 > > Hmmm...Looks to me like it would be a great idea to fix the unported
11 > > ebuilds. Would it be possible to mark virtual/x11-7 as deprecated
12 > > (using enotice/ewarn or similar), in order to get people to port any
13 > > build relying on it to modular X?
14 > >
15 > > The way I see it, once virtual/x11-7 has been deprecated for a while (6
16 > > months to a year) and most popular packages have been ported to modular
17 > > X, virtual/x11-7 and any packages still relying on it could be given
18 > > Last Rites.
19 >
20 > Hmm, I don't think so... There's been a plenty of time to do this when
21 > modular X has been package.masked, the remaining unported stuff didn't
22 > get much further even after it's been unmasked. There's been a
23 > (debatable) repoman check, which has been too annoying so devs nuked it
24 > for themselves, now it's non-fatal warning again (which is mostly being
25 > ignored).
26 >
27 > Soooo - I'd pretty much say until the real breakage is *visible* and
28 > users start to scream - not much will change. Making it visible could
29 > also help us differentiate between used and used stuff. If there's
30 > something unported and you get no bug, then probably noone uses the
31 > thing, nothing depends on it and it can be punted from the tree.
32
33 Is there a recent list of non-ported packages ? Maybe we should do a
34 last effort to port everything for a week or two and then package.mask
35 the packages that no one cares enough about to port them.
38 Olivier Crête
39 tester@g.o
40 Gentoo Developer
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list