From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/x11-7* hides real bugs and breaks good ebuilds
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 16:46:15
1 Arek (James Potts) wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >>> >=virtual/x11-7 is hiding breakage in ebuilds that are not ported for
4 >>> modular X.
5
6 >> I couldn't agree more, but I was forced to add this rather than allow
7 >> unported ebuilds to break.
8
9 > Hmmm...Looks to me like it would be a great idea to fix the unported
10 > ebuilds. Would it be possible to mark virtual/x11-7 as deprecated
11 > (using enotice/ewarn or similar), in order to get people to port any
12 > build relying on it to modular X?
13 >
14 > The way I see it, once virtual/x11-7 has been deprecated for a while (6
15 > months to a year) and most popular packages have been ported to modular
16 > X, virtual/x11-7 and any packages still relying on it could be given
17 > Last Rites.
18
19 Hmm, I don't think so... There's been a plenty of time to do this when
20 modular X has been package.masked, the remaining unported stuff didn't
21 get much further even after it's been unmasked. There's been a
22 (debatable) repoman check, which has been too annoying so devs nuked it
23 for themselves, now it's non-fatal warning again (which is mostly being
24 ignored).
25
26 Soooo - I'd pretty much say until the real breakage is *visible* and
27 users start to scream - not much will change. Making it visible could
28 also help us differentiate between used and used stuff. If there's
29 something unported and you get no bug, then probably noone uses the
30 thing, nothing depends on it and it can be punted from the tree.
31
32 On a side note, this virtual also hides potential bugs in ebuilds that
33 already have been ported, you can miss dependencies there if you have
34 already them emerged b/c of the virtual.
39 Best regards,
40
41 Jakub Moc
42 mailto:jakub@g.o
43 GPG signature:
44 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
45 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
46
47 ... still no signature ;)