From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:30:54
1 On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:21:39 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:40:43 -0600
5 > > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> I have four versions of freetype sitting around that I'd really
7 > >> like to get rid of
8 > >
9 > > And what is the cost of you not getting rid of them? Is there any
10 > > particular reason it matters when it's done?
11 >
12 > The general maintenance cost of any ebuild in the tree. If we want
13 > to make an external or global change in how the package is built or
14 > used, we have to make sure those changes work with all versions in
15 > the tree.
16
17 And do you actually want to make such a change? If you do, give an
18 explanation, and demonstrate why it can't be solved simply by
19 dependencies.
20
21 Most of the time, when people are moaning about 'slacker' archs, they
22 don't have any kind of decent technical reason for doing so... In cases
23 where such a reason exists, the arch teams are usually quite happy to
24 prioritise if asked.
27 Ciaran McCreesh