From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:03:16
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > net-misc/openntpd
3 >
4 > I've just tested it and it builds fine against dev-libs/libretls.
5
6 I hope you're not planning to suggest that dev-libs/libretls should
7 be the only libtls on Gentoo, since that would be an arbitrary and
8 artificial limitation - the very opposite of choice. I'm strongly
9 against that.
12 Jaco Kroon wrote:
13 > > I'm asking to stop doing that, yet still enable the choice between
14 > > openssl and libressl where that is possible without patches, even
15 > > if that's only openntpd and one other package.
16 >
17 > Are you willing to put in the work to allow installing openssl and
18 > libressl concurrently on the same system?
19
20 I'm willing to help. I know that it's one or the other. And I have
21 experience with distributions making arbitrary decisions about libraries,
22 and I think I have an idea about the challenges and possibilities.
25 > The only real solution then to make libressl viable is to make it
26 > co-exist with openssl reliably.
27
28 Ack.
31 > Of course there are various strategies (or combination of), to mention
32 > but a few:
33 >
34 > 1.  Use a virtual/??? (but since the APIs aren't compatible despite the
35 > libressl promise thereto ...)
36 > 2.  Install them into different prefixes (eg /usr/lib/openssl +
37 > /usr/lib/libressl and have the linker link to a specific version,
38 > /usr/include/{openssl,libressl} too).
39 > 3.  Make ssl USE flag another single-choice USE_EXPAND, posibly by way
40 > of openssl.eclass.
41
42 These are all interesting and I think worth exploring! But also
43 non-trivial, so maybe better saved for later?
44
45 What do you think about my suggestion in a previous email to have the
46 libressl ebuild install only libtls .so and .a files built from static
47 libs/objects, so that there are no conflicting shared objects?
48
49 I can certainly help accomplish that if there is interest.
52 > would be in willing and in support of updating the packages I maintain
53 > to assist with libressl support if the eco system can be improved.
54
55 Cool! I really appreciate your openness. I'm asking essentially to
56 keep options open, so that the ecosystem can be improved step by step.
59 Thanks
60
61 //Peter