From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:53:01
1 On 09/15/14 15:30, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 09:53:43AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >> On 14-09-2014 16:56:24 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >>>> So, I don't really have a problem with your design. I still question
6 >>>> whether we still need to be generating changelogs - they seem
7 >>>> incredibly redundant. But, if people really want a redundant copy of
8 >>>> the git log, whatever...
9 >>> I don't want them too. However, I'm pretty sure people will bikeshed
10 >>> this to death if we kill them... Especially that rsync has no git log.
11 >>> Not that many users make real use of ChangeLogs, esp. considering
12 >>> how useless messages often are there...
13 >> Council had some discussions on this topic:
14 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20111108-summary.txt
15 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20111011-summary.txt
16 >>
17 >> Conclusion back then was that ChangeLog files need to stay.
18 > I would have no problem with the council revisiting/changing this.
19 >
20 > I tend to agree that the ChangeLogs in the portage tree will be
21 > obsoleted when we switch to git because git's logging facilities are
22 > much easier to use than those in CVS. Not to mention how much smaller
23 > the portage tree would be without ChangeLogs.
24 >
25 > William
28 If the argument is that there are no Changelogs in rsync, then let's
29 write git hooks to generate them when the repository is mirrored to the
30 rsync host. The only problem I see is with this is then adding
31 ChangeLog to the manifest and gpg signing it which has to be done at the
32 developer's side. But, I think the tree that users get from rsync
33 should have the logs. Having *both* a ChangeLog file and git log is
34 redundant.
37 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
38 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
39 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
41 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA