From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:58:07
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/15/14 15:30, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> I would have no problem with the council revisiting/changing this.
4 >>
5 >> I tend to agree that the ChangeLogs in the portage tree will be
6 >> obsoleted when we switch to git because git's logging facilities are
7 >> much easier to use than those in CVS. Not to mention how much smaller
8 >> the portage tree would be without ChangeLogs.
9 >>
10 >> William
13 > If the argument is that there are no Changelogs in rsync, then let's write
14 > git hooks to generate them when the repository is mirrored to the rsync
15 > host. The only problem I see is with this is then adding ChangeLog to the
16 > manifest and gpg signing it which has to be done at the developer's side.
17 > But, I think the tree that users get from rsync should have the logs.
18 > Having *both* a ChangeLog file and git log is redundant.
21 I'll add this to the next Council agenda. I think this is ripe for
22 discussion. The last discussion of this really wasn't aimed at git
23 anyway.
26 Rich